Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Negative Income Tax - Part 2

In a comment to my previous post, Rohit, a good friend of mine, explained where I went wrong.
Using Rohit's variables:
1. F: The government provided a fixed payment to every individual.
2. I: Income earned other then the fixed government payment.
3. R: A flat tax rate of positive income tax.
To make it simple let R be a decimal number i.e. for 50% rate it is 0.5, for 25% it is 0.25.4. E: Total take home earning of an Individual

E= I – R*I + F

If Income (I) = 40, then with Rohit's formula then Earning is 40 - 0.5*40 + 60 = 80.


Let's understand what the formula means. We know for Income less than 60.


Earning = Income + Government Support

Government support is reduced by certain rate (1/2 on our example) for every dollar in inccome.
i.e. Government Support = F - R*I

Therefore, E = I + F - R*I <----- the formula Rohit uses. Or is R = 1/2 then E = F + 0.5I Let's say if the government only "reimburses" upto the amount that a person falls short of $60. Howeverm if Income is greater than 60 then E=I. To represent it in simple code:
IF I > F
E = I
ELSE

E = I + F - R*I
ENDIF

for F = 60, I = 60, R = 0.5; E = 90

We can clearly see that if a person gets $60 then there is a strong dis-incentive for him to get a higher paying job unless the job pays more than $90 (50% increase in pay, which might be very difficult to get). This is a major point of attack for NIT opponents

2 comments:

  1. In the version of NIT I am talking of, F never ends.

    That is F will always be there, even if you start earning a billion dollar.

    Going back to the formula
    E=I-RI+F=I-(RI-F) =I-V

    V is the amount you pay to the government out of your income.

    V < 0 if I < F/R
    V > 0 if I > F/R

    The effective rate of income tax, r, is V/I
    r=V/I

    r < 0 if I < F/R
    r > 0 if I > F/R

    Thus for low Incomes (I) the tax is negative and for high incomes it is positive.

    Any Ways

    A Technical discussion does not do full justice to the issue.
    Economics is a Positive science and Empirical Evidence will always outweigh theoretical justification.

    The effect of NIT is subject to Empirical Verification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need us if you have any of these tax problems: Back
    Taxes
    , Unfiled Returns, Missing Records, Threat of Levy, or, if you need an Installment Agreement or an Offer in Compromise A tax levy or garnishment or attachment are all the same thing. The terms may be used interchangeably. A wage garnishment or levy may be against any asset. In the enforcement of tax collections. We prepare all Federal and State Unfiled tax Returns The Fair Tax Act (HR
    25/S 1025) is a bill in the United States Congress for changing Tax Solutions laws to replace the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and all federal income taxes (including Alternative Minimum Tax), Past due tax returns, Past due tax returns, Past due returns, Past due taxes, Unpaid tax, Tax negotiation, Wage levy, Robert M. Adams, Bob Adams

    ReplyDelete